Having completed the Bronze expedition section students will have established a solid foundation of basic hillwalking and camping skills. This is essential preparation before beginning the Silver training process in the more remote and challenging environment of the central Cairngorms. Participants will be using good quality mountain equipment and be encouraged to safely cut down on weight and think smart. Instructors will accompany and train groups during the practice expedition, imparting mountaineering knowledge and expertise as appropriate. The qualifying venture will be conducted with an appropriate level of supervision commensurate with the route, prevailing conditions and each groups ability, normally assessed during practice. On successful completion of this section students should feel they have all the skills and knowledge to safely explore the Scottish hills and glens in summer conditions.
We ask groups to include an environmental connection in their expedition aim.
Practice (theory into practice)
There will be training in school including equipment, clothing and bag packing. All participants will then complete a 3 day accompanied practice hike with 2 overnight camps. During the expedition instructors will coach each individual group, reviewing and adding to the basic skills acquired at the Bronze level.
We will begin with a basic kit check at school (waterproofs and boots) before travelling out to the Linn of Dee, Braemar to meet with instructors.
- Lightweight tent drills and stove review
- Issue safety equipment
- Prepare route cards to campsites (3 valleys, 6 campsites)
- Pre expedition check of all clothing, equipment and food carried - start hiking
- Wild camping best practice and environmental impact study
- From a base camp complete a high tops (Munro) circuit carrying day gear. Essential skills such as route choice, navigation, river crossing, off path and rough ground walking will be covered.
- Environmental information on land form, weather, land management and history will be an ongoing subject.
- Emergency procedures and night move briefing
- When dark, complete a night move to a new campsite
- Complete return journey to Linn of Dee
- Clean and hand kit in
- Review and depart
Final Qualifying Hike - The theme will be "clean up the Cairngorms"
Day 1 to 3
- All groups transported to various starting points. Aboyne, Ballater, Keiloch, Braemar, Glenshee, Linn of Dee.
- Equipment issue, plan and prepare route cards (each group will have their own campsite and route to follow).
- Equipment check and safety briefing before starting out on 3 day journey.
- Instructors will monitor and work with groups as appropriate.
- At the end of the journey, group kit will be cleaned, checked, handed in and a comprehensive review carried out.